TELL ME AN INTERESTING FACT ABOUT YOURSELF AND I WILL REPLY WITH AN INTERESTING FACT ABOUT MYSELF THAT I THINK OF WHEN I READ YOURS. IT MAY BE ENTIRELY RELATED, OR ONLY RELATED IN THE WEIRDEST, BROADEST DEFINITIONS.
"When I was about 20 years old, I met an old pastor’s wife who told me that when she was young and had her first child, she didn’t believe in striking children, although spanking kids with a switch pulled from a tree was standard punishment at the time. But one day, when her son was four or five, he did something that she felt warranted a spanking–the first in his life. She told him that he would have to go outside himself and find a switch for her to hit him with.
The boy was gone a long time. And when he came back in, he was crying. He said to her, “Mama, I couldn’t find a switch, but here’s a rock that you can throw at me.”
All of a sudden the mother understood how the situation felt from the child’s point of view: that if my mother wants to hurt me, then it makes no difference what she does it with; she might as well do it with a stone.
And the mother took the boy into her lap and they both cried. Then she laid the rock on a shelf in the kitchen to remind herself forever: never violence. And that is something I think everyone should keep in mind. Because if violence begins in the nursery one can raise children into violence.”
Absolutely. Or at least, I think so. I mean, I’ve had several relationships in the past and I have never strayed from the relationship, but I’m not in a long term relationship currently and I’ve never been married, so I guess I don’t know for sure. But I’m going to go with yes.
10. Do you think your life will change dramatically before 2014?
Uhhh. I sort of doubt it at this point. I mean there’s only 20 days to go. But I could be wrong! I guess we’ll see
15. Do you care if people talk badly about you?
I guess I care in the way that if there’s a problem, I’d rather they talk to me about it and not complain behind my back. It’s a situation which I feel like really impacted my last full time job and nothing irritates me more than lack of communication. But like if people just don’t like me or just want to complain, no, I don’t really care.
20. Name something you have to do tomorrow.
Go to Costco!
Just kidding it’s for paper products. But seriously have to get over there. And probably read.
25. Do you think you can last in a relationship for 6 months and not cheat?
Absolutely. See answers to an earlier question.
30. Does anyone hate you?
I’m sure. I’m not perfect, and I’m not usually very nice. I’m not afraid to be myself which can be very off-putting to a certain type of person. I’m not sure I could name anyone off the top of my head, but I’m sure they’re out there.
35. Did you have a dream last night?
I think I had like a pseudo dream where I was combining a dream with reality, but it’s gone all fuzzy and I can’t remember any other than the feeling.
40. Did you have a good day yesterday?
I did! I love my job. I ate a can of soup that was expired but still sort of good and I got it off my shelf. I blogged. I read. I watched some Gossip Girl. All good things.
45. Do you have any pictures on your Facebook?
Definitely. There’s probably some that shouldn’t be on there considering all my family can see them. But eh.
50. Don’t tell me lies, is the last person you texted attractive?
HECK YES. That’d be my beautiful wonderful roommate/best friend/ heterosexual life partner Hazel-heart
ALL THE NUMBERS THAT END IN 2 AND 6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I’m assuming that also includes 2 and 6.
2. Would you date an 18 year old at the age you are now?
Well, maybe. It’s only 5 years, but it’s a super formative time of life. So it’d depend a lot on the person.
6. How do you look right now?
Uhhh probably tired. I’m wearing a Christmas sweater and sweatpants too which is cool. Super sexy.
12. If the person you like says they like someone else, what would you say?
Okay. I mean, that’s pretty typical of my life, so it’s not like it would be a surprise.
16. Are you going out of town soon?
Sort of soon? Like beginning of January? That’ll be sort of cool.
22. Have you ever liked one of your best friends of the opposite sex?
26. Have you ever wanted someone you couldn’t have?
DAMN I USED THAT GIF TOO SOON. But yeah. Of course? Like who hasn’t?
32. Do you like watching scary movies?
YES! I love getting a little bit scared but knowing that I’m totally okay. Or like creepy scary things love it all.
36. Is there anyone you can tell EVERYTHING to?
Thankfully (for me) yes. My bfffl Hazel-heart. I’m sure she regrets that sometimes.
42. Is your life anything like it was 2 years ago?
2 years ago, I was finishing my last semester of actual college and getting ready to student teach. I was so optimistic about the future and getting a job as soon as I graduated and everything was so shiny! Except I’d also just gotten into a wreck for the first time ever and I was extremely annoyed with my school for being a huge douche, but over all things were pretty good.
Now I’m finally resettled, but it has been a rough 18 months.
46. Do you ever pass notes to your friends in school?
Well I’m graduated so no. But I used to all the time. Like I have boxes of my little folded up notes from middle school and up.
1. Looking across the tracks of the subway and seeing someone in the window of the opposite train, someone who is reading the perfect book and who wears that familiar combination of tired and hopeful on their delicate features.
2. Stirring your coffee in a small, quiet café where the music is just soft enough to remind you that it is playing every so often when you look up from your notebook.
3. Exchanging a few jokes with a charming stranger stuck in the same endless, bureaucratic line as you, reminding you that you are not alone in your battle with everyday tedium.
4. Sitting on the beach with old friends whom you are visiting for a few weeks in the summer, when the weather is just hot enough to permit you to stay out all night and enjoy one another’s company in a way you were always too busy to do.
5. Reading old chats and messages and letters with people you used to love, and remembering what it is about them that was so wonderful.
6. Looking at pictures where you are smiling in that unflattering way you almost never allow yourself to do, but you couldn’t help it because you were surrounded by people who made you just that happy.
7. Kissing outside at night when you’ve had just enough to drink that your cheeks are tingling and you are afraid that the words “I love you” might fall out of your mouth all by themselves.
8. Hearing someone tell you something that they’ve never told anyone before, because they never felt like anyone would really listen and actually understand.
9. Seeing someone be kind when they think that no one is looking, because they know it is simply the right thing to do.
10. Finding out that an old love is getting married to someone who is so much more right for them that you could have ever been, and realizing that you can love someone and not ever want them for yourself again.
11. Sitting at a restaurant by yourself and getting so deeply lost in your book that you forget you are even alone, and you feel as though you are on a date with the world’s most interesting person.
12. Telling someone that you’re happy for them, and watching their whole face light up with well-earned pride when they realize that you actually mean it.
13. Waiting at the bus stop and seeing the most perfect person in the most perfect outfit who is looking at the map with just as little understanding as you once did when you were new in the city.
14. Realizing that someone who is so very beautiful does not imagine themselves to be anything special.
15. Hearing someone say “If there’s anything I can do to help, let me know” and knowing that you can ask them anything and they would do their best to follow through.
16. Visiting someone when they are sick and seeing the way their eyes light up at the soup and juice you brought them.
17. Sitting in the movie theater with someone and watching them laugh out of the corner of your eye when they think something is really, really funny. Watching their dimples and eye creases form and wishing they knew just how wonderful every little line on their face is.
18. Seeing someone at the gym who is having just as hard a time as you but is still going at it every day.
19. Reading something online that makes you cry, alone, at your computer, simply because it makes you feel — in a way you are rarely lucky enough to feel — that there are other people like you.
20. Running into an old friend at the store and letting it bleed into a long coffee where you talk about every subject that you didn’t even realize had been lying dormant inside of you for years, longing to be confirmed and expressed and understood.
21. Looking across the restaurant at the couple who is too happy to notice anyone around them, and realizing that sometimes we can get a contact high, a little burst of pure joy, just from seeing people who are that in love.