(Based on this post)
[I’ll make little individual ones later if you want one as an avatar. Enjoy!]
Work is mine, please do not remove the caption or the watermark :)
Vera Wang Fall Winter Bridal Collection 2012
International Women’s Day 2014
For more photos and videos from incredible women sharing their stories on Instagram, be sure to follow Michelle Obama (@michelleobama), Stella McCartney (@stellamccartney) Condoleezza Rice (@condoleezzarice), Jenny Jones (@jennyjonessnow) and Laura Mvula (@lauramvula).
On Saturday, men and women around the world celebrate International Women’s Day. An official holiday for many countries, the day has been observed since the 1900s as a chance to celebrate women’s economic, political and social achievements. As a tribute to women everywhere, here are some of the exceptional women using Instagram to document their incredible stories of talent, triumph and humanitarianism:
- Vivienne Harr (@makeastandlemonaid and @standwithme) — After being shown a photo of child workers in Nepal, 10-year-old Vivienne decided to open a lemonade stand to raise funds for child slaves across the world. She raised $100,000, and her family founded a fairtrade lemonade company donating a portion of profits to anti-slavery organizations.
- Lupita Nyong’o (@lupitanyongo) — Winner of best supporting actress for her performance in 12 Years a Slave, Lupita made history by becoming the first woman from Kenya to win an award at the Oscars.
- Dilma Rouseff (@palaciodoplanalto) — The current president of Brazil and first woman to hold office.
- Kathryn Mahoney (@nineteenfiftyone) — Kathryn is an aid worker in Dakar, West Africa, sharing stories from UN refugee camps.
- Mickaela Shiffrin (@mikaelashiffrin) — This Alpine Ski Racer won gold in her second Olympic race, pulling the same feat as Michael Phelps in his first two Olympic Games.
- Laura Boushnak (@lauraboushnak) — A Palestinian photographer based in Sarajevo, Laura is currently working on a project about Arab women’s education.
- Lauren Bush Lauren (@laurenblauren) — Activist working to feed children around the world for @feedprojects.
- Malala Yousafzai (@malalafund) — Sharing a behind-the-scenes view from the fund set up by Malala Yousafzai to help girls go to school and raise their voices for the right to education.
I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe. If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other
Happy International Women’s Day! Here’s a piece we did last year. We’re re-posting to celebrate today. :)
Men still have trouble recognizing that a woman can be complex, can have ambition, good looks, sexuality, erudition, and common sense. A woman can have all those facets, and yet men, in literature and in drama, seem to need to simplify women, to polarize us as either the whore or the angel.
and my U.S. History teacher was trying to get us to understand why it was such a big deal that England had put a tax on colonial sugar, and he goes,
"What if you had to pay a tax every time you logged onto wifi?"
And the whole class just went
and I heard at least two people whisper “I would murder someone”
I have a passion for teaching kids to become readers, to become comfortable with a book, not daunted. Books shouldn’t be daunting, they should be funny, exciting and wonderful; and learning to be a reader gives a terrific advantage.
Somebody dressed up like a suffragist.
A) It is International Women’s Day
B) I am going to a reception to celebrate Women’s History
C) My job will be to stand near the suffrage exhibit display
D) I look pretty damn cute :D
Those are all acceptable reasons. Esp. the last one. <33
You are one of the greatest women I know and years from now people will be featuring you in women’s history exhibits.
Page 2 of 1111